Saturday, April 3, 2010

February-March 2010 Collective Favorites

February-March 2010 Favorites

Coastal Scents 88 Warm Palette
Coastal Scents 88 Color Palette

These palettes allow incredible diversity in my tutorials. I have been trying to do a lot of tutorials lately because I feel one of my key jobs as a guru is to teach people techniques and innovative methods to use makeup. The color variety and payoff is great, the palettes are affordable, and I know a lot of you (my viewers) probably own the palette, so it makes it easier for you guys to replicate the looks in my tutorials.

Coastal Scents Sable Blending Brush
I use this brush every single day for every single makeup application. I use it to apply color to my crease. It pretty much does the blending itself. The bristles are soft and don't shed, and the brush itself is well-constructed and looks professional. The best part is that it cost only $2.90 on Coastal Scents.

Coastal Scents Camo Quad
Eco Tools Concealer Brush
I use these two things together. I use this concealer everyday to conceal my under eye circles, blemishes, and redness. The consistency is great; it's incredibly blendable. This is the first concealer I've ever owned that looks like I'm wearing nothing. On days when I'm running late in the mornings, I wear concealer alone with a little setting powder, and it looks like it's my natural skin. Usually I like to apply concealer with my fingers, but for this particular one I prefer applying it with a synthetic brush. I'm going to publish an updated foundation routine using this product and I'll explain how I apply it then.

Coastal Scents Taklon Liner Brush / Studio Tools Angled Liner Brush (Winged liner)
Lately I've been really into winged liner, and angled brushes make applying it pretty much effortless and foolproof. I've done this in a few tutorials, and basically what I do is just wet the brush with water - you could also use Fix+ or a mixing medium - and dip the brush into an eyeshadow of my choice. Using this method you can pretty much make a liner out of any color, which I think is great for springtime since bold color is very in.

ELF Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder
I just got this a week ago and have literally used it every day since then. The blush is one of those shades that would look great on literally any skin tone. It has very fine glitter and really illuminates the skin. Given the title, the product is intended for contouring, but I use it as an all-over bronzer. It also has very subtle shimmer and makes the skin look dewy, which is perfect for springtime. This brings us to my next favorite:

Mac 182 Kabuki Brush
I use this everyday to apply my bronzer in the 3B method, and then to buff it into my skin to make it look more natural. During the winter I use this to buff setting powder over my liquid foundations for a matte effect, but now that it's spring I prefer to use a lighter application of powder for the dewy effect.

ELF Studio Line Blush - Candid Coral
This was my go-to blush before I purchased the blush and bronzer duo, also by ELF. The two blush colors are very similar - they're both universally-flattering peachy coral colors with very fine glitter. I bought this blush in the middle of last summer and about 8 months later, I am just starting to hit pan. For $3, that is fantastic. I really want to buy more of these Studio Line Blushes, and now that ELF is just starting to be available at Target, I am definitely going to stock up.

NYC Liquid Lip Shines
I mentioned before that I wasn't a huge fan of lip gloss. I'm bothered by its texture and the fact that my hair oftentimes sticks to it, especially on a windy day. However, I'm trying to get over that fact because I really love the effect that it gives, and I think that glossy nude lips are perfect for spring. So far these are some of my favorite lip glosses. They're by NYC, which is available at Target, Wal-Mart, and most drug stores. My favorite three are Dusty Rose and Pink Sand. The best part is that they're $1.99 apiece, and NYC is constantly going on Buy One, Get One Free Sales - so you can wait around and get them for a dollar each!

Covergirl LashBlast Waterproof Mascara
After hearing about all the hype about this mascara, I finally caved and tried it out, and I am in love with it. I wear it everyday, and it's now tied with L'Oreal Voluminous as my favorite Volumizing Mascara. The brush design is perfect - I have never had a clumping issue with this mascara. It offers separation and volume, and I also find it really lengthens my lashes. Since it's waterproof, the wax in the formula also makes my curl last all day.

Herbal Essences Body Envy Shampoo & Conditioner
I had been using the Tresemme Anti-Breakage shampoo and conditioner for a really long time, but after I ran out about a month ago I decided I would try something new. My hair is so flat and very fine, so I decided to get the Body Envy system. My favorite part about the shampoo is the scent. I wash my hair every other day, and usually my hair will keep the scent of the shampoo for the first day. But with this shampoo, my hair literally smells like I just washed it by the end of the second day.

Queen Helene Pomegranate Raspberry Facial Scrub
I love this product as an exfoliator. It smells great and costs a little over $3 at any Sally Beauty Supply. The exfoliating beads are very fine and gentle, unlike the St. Ives Apricot Scrub, so they don't irritate the skin or leave it overly-dry. The tube of St. Ives I'm using now will be the last I purchase, and this is going to be my new primary exfoliator.


Non Beauty-Related Favorites:

Starbucks Vanilla Frappucino Bottled Drinks
What can I say? I'm obsessed with these. The best part is that they sell them in the cafe on my campus, so I can get a Starbucks drink without having to ride the bus to Starbucks!

Sex & the City
My university library has all six seasons of the show on DVD, so I've been renting them and watching marathons each weekend. Right now I'm on Season 6 and eager to be done in time for the release of the second film!

Gossip Girl
Since Gossip Girl has started airing again, I've had something to look forward to on Monday nights. Again, I'm obsessed with the show - also loving the Serena x Nate pairing. :) I'm pretty sure they belong together. ;)

Banana-nutella crepes
Another delicacy served at the cafe on my campus. A favorite dessert, but of course I can only have it on occasion...

Springtime
I love the long days - sunlight makes me happy. :) The sun doesn't set where I live till around 7:00 PM. It's still cold and occasionally it rains, but the sun has been showing more often and I cannot wait for it to be permanently warm. I am really wanting to get some nice spring/summer sundresses to wear.

Hope you enjoyed my favorites - beauty-related and otherwise!

No comments:

Post a Comment